Fibromyalgia is a disease condition that is characterized by stiffening of muscles which results in pain. It is one of the most confusing conditions which puzzles and sometimes causes confusion in diagnosing the disease. It has got a nickname i.e. ‘soft-tissue arthritis’. This condition is chronic, painful and tender especially in the muscles, ligaments, tendons and other soft tissues.
General Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
The most common symptoms of fibromyalgia are
Pain. pain in the neck, shins, arms, back, shoulders, limbs, chest, extremities, knees, elbows and all soft tissues. These painful areas are known as ‘tender spots’. Pain initially starts in these areas and later it gradually extends to other parts. Pain starts in the morning and gradually gets worse by nights. Pain in fibromyalgia can be described as throbbing, aching, flu-like or sometimes stabbing type.
Pain at neck region in fibromyalgia in women
Fatigue. Fatigue is another commonest symptom of fibromyalgia which most of the times confounds the physicians in diagnosing it; this symptom is very similar to ‘chronic fatigue disorder or syndrome’.
As the disease progresses fibromyalgia manifests a mental illness where patients slowly
- lose their memory and concentration
- show difficulty in recalling/ remembering things and sometimes result in depression.
- This condition is generally known as ‘fibro-fog’.
- Severe headache
- insomnia (sleepless nights)
- mood changes etc are other important symptoms of fibromyalgia.
As already said migraine and tension type of headaches are most common in fibromyalgia. Patient exhibit tenderness/pain in facial muscles, jaws etc. the threshold level to pain is also decreased resulting in early fatigue or decreased pain tolerance after physical exercises.
Chronic abdominal pain, frequent and painful urination are caused due to irritable bowel syndrome which is also one of the . These symptoms vary from one patient to another and every patient might not exhibit all these symptoms.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia in Women
Women are most commonly affected by this when compared to men. More than 85% of people suffering from fibromyalgia are women. As discussed, the universal symptom of fibromyalgia is pain and it has no exception in women too.
- Throbbing type of pain is experienced by women in the muscles of face, neck, thighs, back, hips, and other soft tissue.
- They experience painful periods during their menstruation.
- Easy fatigue and dizziness are more commonly seen in women.
- Pregnant women suffering from fibromyalgia exhibit greater muscle stiffness, fatigue and women.
- Reproduction in women is also affected by fibromyalgia.
- Breast cysts and dysmenorrhea are more commonly seen in women affected by fibromyalgia.
- Fibromyalgia is noticed in women mostly at the age of 40-50 which coincides with the menopause period in women and hence many a times fibromyalgia is mistaken for menopause in women.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia in Men
The intensity and frequency of the symptoms of fibromyalgia in men are milder than that of women.
- Men suffering from fibromyalgia show aching body pains immediately after workouts and also exhibit stiffness in body.
- These symptoms subside faster when compared to that of women.
- The pain is throbbing, stabbing or severe aching type. Jaw pain due to TMJ dysfunction is another symptom that can be commonly seen in men.
These are the symptoms of fibromyalgia that can commonly be seen in men and women. Symptomatic cure helps in alleviating the health in people suffering with fibromyalgia.